1. TO ENTER: No purchase necessary. To enter, log onto wgntv.com/contests during the entry period starting no later than 5pm, Thursday May 10, 2012 through Wednesday, May 30 at 11:59am and click on the “Breakthrough Band” contest logo to complete and submit the registration form along with a video of the featured band (Video must be uploaded to wgntv.com. Video files accepted include .avi, .mov, .qt, .mp4, .mpeg, .wmv, .mpg. Maximum file size = 200 MB. Entry form includes name of band, names and ages of band members and the phone number and address of the contact band member entering the band. Song featured in video must be original content, cover songs will not be allowed. Genre must be considered ‘rock and roll.’ Limit one entry per band and one band per person. Video submitted for WGN-TV’s “Breakthrough Band” must feature the entrant’s band only. Entrant must receive consent from each band member to submit contest video. If any party in the video requests that the video be taken down, video will be taken down. All entries must be submitted online, and received within the entry period. Incomplete entries and entries not submitted in accordance with these rules will be disqualified. WGN-TV may disqualify any entry that includes videos that are not of a band, violate the rights of any other person or entity (including but not limited to copyrights), and/or contain offensive, defamatory, vulgar or profane content, as determined by WGN-TV. Entries become the property of WGN and will not be returned. WGN is not responsible for lost, incomplete, damaged, illegible, late, or misdirected entries, or for errors in mechanical transmission, technical or wireless difficulties or inability to transmit Internet entries. WGN reserves the right to cancel or extend the contest if insufficient amount of entries are submitted.
2. ENTRY DEADLINE: The entry period for the contest starts no later than 5pm, Thursday May 10, 2012 through Wednesday, May 30,2012 at 11:59am
3. SELECTION OF WINNERS: Once all submissions are received, all entrant videos will be posted. Those bands videos will be posted on WGNtv.com where viewers will be invited to vote for their favorite band in multiple rounds as described below. Bands will move forward in the competition based on online voting and station judging of the musical performance. All decisions regarding the administration of this contest made by WGN-TV are final and binding.
A) First Round: May 31, 2012 – June 6, 2012: All entrant videos will be posted for the First Round no later than 3pm on May 31, 2012. On-line voting will be conducted from 5/31/12 through 11:59am on 6/6/12. On 6/6/2012 ten (10) entrant videos will be selected as First Round Qualifiers based on online voting and station judging of the musical performance and will advance to the Second Round.
B) Second Round June 7, 2012 – June 14, 2012: All ten (10) First Round Qualifiers will be posted for the Second Round on June 7, 2012. On-line voting will be conducted from 6/7/12 through 11:59am on 6/14/12. On June 14, 2012, Two (2) entrant videos will be selected as Second Round Qualifiers based on online voting and station judging of the musical performance and will advance to the Final Round.
D) FINAL ROUND: On June 22, 2012, both finalist bands will perform live at the Arboretum of Barrington (100 West Higgins Road, South Barrington, IL 60010) during the midday time frame. Finalist bands must be able to attend the June 22, 2012 performance in Chicago. Portions of the performance may be shown on WGN Midday News or WGNtv.com. In the event of breaking news, WGN-TV reserves the right not to show the live performance during the news. It may be shown online or at a later date. Based on station judging of the musical performance at the live event by a panel of judges determined by WGN-TV, one band or the other will be deemed the Grand Prize Winner. The Grand Prize Winning band must be able to perform at The Arboretum of South Barrington on Sunday, June 24, 2012 from 1:30-2:30pm, or runner up band will be declared ‘winner.’
If either finalist band is determined to be ineligible, cannot be reached by reasonable means within a reasonable amount of time on the afternoon of June 15, 2012 or who otherwise fails to comply with these Official Rules, the band shall be disqualified, and the first runner up (i.e., the Finalist based on online voting and station judging of the musical performance in the final round) will be substituted.
4. ONLINE VOTING: Viewers may vote by visiting wgntv.com, registering and clicking on the “Breakthrough Band” link at any time during any of the winner selection rounds. Viewers may vote up to 1,000 times per day. WGN is not responsible for lost, incomplete, damaged, illegible, late, or misdirected votes, or for errors in mechanical transmission, technical difficulties or inability to transmit votes.
5. THE PRIZES: There will be one (1) Grand Prize Winning band. The winning band will play on the main stage at The Arboretum of South Barrington's Two Day Music Festival on Sunday, June 24 from 1:30-2:30pm. Winning band also receives a fully produced EP at I.V. Lab Studios (ARV: $10,000). This includes five days of recording and 5 days of mixing (up to 100 hours) to have a fully produced, mixed and mastered 5-6 song EP. (Total ARV $10,000).
The prize will be forfeited if the band members fails to claim prize by deadline, fails to execute the prepared forms of release and waiver, if the band breaks up or if the selected winner is not eligible in accordance with these rules. Prizes are not assignable or transferable. Federal, state and local taxes, if any, are solely the responsibility of the winner, who will receive a 1099 tax form reflecting the actual value of the prize if the prize value exceeds $600. The value of the total prize package will be divided equally among all members of the band, who will receive a 1099 for their share of the value.
6. ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS:
a. This contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. Employees of WGN-TV, the Tribune Company, The Arboretum of South Barrington, I.V. Lab Studios and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, and advertising/promotion agencies are not eligible to participate.
b. All band members must be legal residents of the United States who are 18 years and older at the time of entry.
c. Winners who have won a prize from WGN-TV since December 22, 2011 are ineligible and will be disqualified.
7. CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
a. Use of winner's name: By entering, each band member grants permission, without further compensation, to the Contest Sponsors, their agents and licensees, to use the entrant’s name, voice, photograph, video, likeness and biographical material for promotional purposes in connection with the contest.
b. Execution of Affidavit and Release: By entering, each band member agrees that if selected as the winning band, he/she will sign a release and waiver of liability. The prize will be forfeited and awarded to another band if the winning band members do not execute the prepared form of release and waiver within 24 hours of notification, or if the selected winner is not eligible in accordance with these rules. Separate agreement form must be signed by band from IV Lab Studios.
c. Release of Liability: By entering, band members agree to release Contest Sponsors from any claim, loss, liability, damage or injury of any kind arising from their participation in the contest, or their receipt or use of the contest prize, and any contest-related travel or activity.
d. Prize Substitutions: No substitute prizes are available; however, Contest Sponsors may, at their discretion, substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Prizes are non-transferable and may not be redeemed for cash.
e. Warranties: By entering, each entrant warrants and represents that his/her entry (video) is the entrant’s own original creations, do not violate the rights of any other person or entity (including but not limited to copyrights and trademarks), do not contain offensive, defamatory, vulgar or profane content, and do not contain fraudulent or false information about the entrants. Songs featured in video must be original content, cover songs will not be allowed.
f. Status of Band: The band featured in the entered video must be unsigned to any record label. Contestants who are determined to be in violation of this provision shall be disqualified.
8. INTERNET/FORCE MAJEURE: If for any reason, this contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, tampering, fraud, technical failure, or any other cause which corrupts or threatens the administration, security or integrity of the contest, WGN-TV reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate or suspend the Contest or any portion of the Contest. ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE FAIR AND LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE CONTEST. Information submitted in Internet entries, including entrant's name, address, e-mail address, etc, shall become the property of WGN-TV, and may be used by WGN-TV for marketing or promotional purposes. Contest shall be governed and enforced pursuant to Illinois law, excluding choice of law provisions.
10. COPY OF RULES: A copy of the rules is available at WGNtv.com or by sending an envelope to: WGN-TV “Rock & Roll Breakthrough Band” Rules, 2501 W. Bradley Place, Chicago, IL 60618.
11. WINNERS LIST: Can be obtained by sending an envelope to WGN-TV Midday News “Breakthrough Band” Winner List, 2501 W. Bradley Place, Chicago, IL 60618 after June 25, 2012 and before July 25, 2012.